The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Administrative cost--Indirect personnel costs and
other support costs.
(2) Bill rate intervention--The cost of legal representation
provided by the Office of the Attorney General on behalf of the department
before regulatory bodies with jurisdiction over telecommunications.
(3) CCTS--Capitol Complex Telephone System. The centralized
telephone service for CCTS users in the capitol complex.
(4) CCTS users--State agencies, each house of the legislature,
legislative agencies and other authorized government entities that
contract to utilize CCTS services.
(5) The Department--Department of Information Resources.
(6) Local government--Counties, cities, districts,
and other political subdivisions.
(7) New telephone equipment--The department inventory
of telephone equipment never used.
(8) Network Security--The protection of computer systems
and technology assets as defined by §2059.001, Government Code.
(9) Operational cost--All telecommunications services
operational costs, including without limitation, staff salaries and
(10) Reconditioned telephone equipment--Telephone equipment
that is not new, has been repaired, and is warranted as if it is new.
(11) Telecommunications--The means of transmission,
emission, or reception of signals as defined by §2054.003, Government
(12) Telecommunications equipment--Devices or apparatus
used for various modes of telecommunications services.
(13) Telecommunications service provider--Business
entities or other organizations competitively selected by the department
to provide telecommunications equipment or services.
(14) Telecommunications service--Any service as defined
by §2170.001, Government Code.
(15) Telecommunications Services user--User of telecommunication
services provided by the department including, but not limited to,
CCTS, TEX-AN and Network Security Services.
(16) Telecommunications revolving account--An account
in the Texas State Treasury into which funds received from telecommunications
services users and CCTS users are transferred.
(17) TEX-AN--Texas Agency Network. The statewide system
of telecommunications services serving authorized users.
(18) Usage sensitive services--Telecommunications services,
which are billed on the basis of quantity used such as long distance
per minute charges, bandwidth charges for internet services, etc.