|(a) General. This section establishes operating procedures
for the Windham School District (WSD) Board of Trustees (board) to
(1) The Texas Board of Criminal Justice (TBCJ) serves
as the WSD board, pursuant to Chapter 19, Texas Education Code. The
TBCJ is a nine member body appointed by the governor to oversee the
Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ). The TBCJ chairman, who
serves as the board chairman, is designated by and serves at the request
of the governor pursuant to Texas Government Code §492.005.
(2) The board operates utilizing the same officers
and structure established by the TBCJ.
(3) The chairman, on behalf of the board, is empowered
to appoint members of the board to be members or chairs of standing
or limited-purpose committees, or to serve as liaisons to the WSD
on particular subject areas within WSD's jurisdiction. The purpose
of a committee, if appointed, is to have certain members become particularly
familiar with various issues and to facilitate discussion and recommend
potential strategies as appropriate.
(1) The board shall hold its regular meetings in conjunction
with those of the TBCJ. Special called meetings of the board can be
held at the discretion of the board chairman.
(2) The TBCJ and the board shall attempt to hold regular
meetings at least every other month of the year, but shall meet at
least once each quarter of the calendar year pursuant to Texas Government
Code §492.006. These meetings shall be held in Austin or Huntsville,
Texas. If the board uses video conference technology to convene a
meeting, at least one conference site must be located in Huntsville
or Austin. To convene a video conference meeting, a quorum of the
board must be present at one of the video conference sites. The other
members may convene using the technology from remote sites.
(3) The agenda and date for the board meetings shall
be set by the board chairman in consultation with the WSD superintendent.
(4) The agenda for committee meetings shall be set
by the board chairman in consultation with the committee's chairman
and the WSD superintendent. If the board committee uses video conference
technology to convene a meeting, at least a quorum of the committee
shall convene in one location. The other member(s) may convene using
the technology from remote sites.
(5) A majority of the board, or a committee of the
board, constitutes a quorum for the convening of and transaction of
business at any meeting. A quorum of a committee with two members
consists of both members.
(6) Meetings of the board shall be conducted according
to standard parliamentary procedures.
(7) Meetings of the board are governed by the Texas Open Meetings Act (Texas Government
Code Chapter 551).
(8) The WSD superintendent, in coordination with appropriate
TDCJ staff, shall ensure members are provided the materials necessary
to conduct the business of the board and its committees well in advance
of the meetings.
(9) The WSD superintendent, in coordination with appropriate
TDCJ staff, shall ensure the minutes of each meeting are prepared,
retained and filed with the Legislative Reference Library, and made
available to the public. The minutes shall state the subject matter
of each deliberation and shall indicate each vote, order, decision,
or other action taken by the board.
(10) Requests by the public to make presentations or
comments to the board are governed by 19 Texas Administrative Code §300.1,
pursuant to Texas Government Code §551.042.
(11) The board shall approve meeting minutes for any
committees deleted, renamed, or for which their limited purpose has
(12) Prior to each regularly scheduled meeting, the
board shall offer the opportunity for:
(A) The WSD superintendent to present any items relating
to the WSD as determined by the superintendent or the board chairman.
(B) The board chairman to present any items relating
to the board or the WSD as determined by the board chairman in consultation
with the WSD superintendent.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §300.2 adopted to be effective April 22, 2004, 29 TexReg 3790; amended to be effective October 7, 2007, 32 TexReg 6782; amended to be effective May 13, 2012, 37 TexReg 3408