|(a) Applicants for a new or renewal vehicle inspector
certificate must apply in a manner prescribed by the department.
(b) By submitting a new or renewal vehicle inspector
application form, the applicant agrees to allow the department to
conduct background checks as authorized by law.
(c) A new or renewal vehicle inspector application
must include, but is not limited to, the items listed in paragraphs
(1) and (2) of this subsection:
(1) criminal history disclosure of all convictions
and deferred adjudications of the vehicle inspector applicant; and
(2) all fees required pursuant to Texas Transportation
Code, Chapter 548 (the Act). The new or renewal vehicle inspector
application fee is nonrefundable.
(d) If an incomplete new or renewal vehicle inspector
application is received, notice will be sent to the applicant stating
that the application is incomplete and specifying the information
required for completion.
(e) The new or renewal vehicle inspector applicant
has 60 calendar days after receipt of notice to provide the required
information and submit a complete application. If an applicant fails
to furnish the documentation, the application will be considered withdrawn.
(f) A new or renewal vehicle inspector application
is complete when:
(1) It contains all items required by the department.
(2) It conforms to the Act, this chapter, and the Texas
vehicle inspection program's instructions.
(3) All fees have been paid pursuant to the Act.
(4) All requests for additional information have been
(g) The new or renewal vehicle inspector certificate
will expire on August 31 of the even numbered year following the date
of issuance and is renewable every two years thereafter.
(h) For a new or renewal vehicle inspector application
to be approved the applicant must:
(1) be at least 18 years of age;
(2) hold a valid driver license to operate a motor
vehicle in Texas;
(3) not be currently suspended or revoked in the Texas
vehicle inspection program;
(4) complete department approved training as outlined
in this chapter;
(5) pass with a grade of not less than 80, an examination
on the Act, this chapter, and regulations of the department pertinent
to the Texas vehicle inspection program;
(6) successfully demonstrate ability to correctly operate
the testing devices; and
(7) meet all other eligibility criteria under the Act
or this chapter.