The following words and phrases, when used in this chapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context shall clearly
(1) Alcohol--Ethyl alcohol, sometimes referred to as
grain alcohol or ethanol.
(2) Approval--Meeting and maintaining the requirements
set forth in this title for approval.
(3) Approved breath alcohol testing program--A breath
alcohol testing program meeting and maintaining the provisions stated
in §19.4 of this title (relating to Approval of Techniques, Methods,
(4) Approved course of instruction--A school, college,
agency, institution, or laboratory meeting the requirements stated
in §19.7 of this title (relating to Approval of Courses of Instruction).
(5) Breath alcohol test (breath alcohol analysis)--The
analysis of a subject's breath specimen(s) to determine the alcohol
(6) Certification--Meeting and maintaining the requirements
set forth in this title for certification.
(7) Certified operator--An individual meeting and maintaining
the requirements stated in §19.5 of this title (relating to Operator
(8) Conviction--An adjudicated verdict of guilty or
an order of deferred adjudication by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(9) Department--The unmodified word "department" in
this title refers to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
(10) Inactivation--The voluntary or temporary discontinuance
(11) Instrument(s)--The device(s) which measure or
quantitate the breath alcohol concentration pursuant to §19.2
of this title (relating to Instrument Certification).
(12) Office of the Scientific Director (OSD)--The scientific
director and his staff.
(13) Predicted value--The known value of the reference
(14) Proficiency test--A test administered at the direction
of a technical supervisor or designated representative of the Scientific
Director to establish and/or ascertain the competency of an operator
to obtain valid results on breath test instruments.
(15) Public information and demonstration--The public
display and exhibition of certified evidential breath testing equipment.
(16) Recertification--A process to make certification
(17) Reference sample device--An apparatus or device
designed to provide a reference sample or analytical test standard.
(18) Renewal of current certification--The continuance
of active certification by meeting the requirements stated in §19.5(b)
of this title (relating to Operator Certification).
(19) Reports and records--The data and documents pertinent
to this title.
(20) Scientific director--The individual or his designee
responsible for the implementation, administration and enforcement
of the Texas breath alcohol testing regulations.
(21) Security--The safeguard of certified instruments
at testing locations.
(22) Site location--The physical site of the breath
alcohol testing instrument and reference sample device.
(23) Suspension--The termination or revocation of certification.
(24) System blank analysis--An analysis of ambient
air, free of alcohol and other interfering substances, that yields
a result of 0.000.
(25) Technical supervisor and technical supervision--An
individual meeting the minimum requirements set forth in §19.6
of this title (relating to Technical Supervisor Certification) and
the responsibilities of such.