|(a) The Board shall evaluate the effectiveness of Texas
Success Initiative on a statewide basis and with respect to each institution.
To inform this evaluation, institutions shall analyze and report to
the Board, on a schedule to be determined by the Commissioner of Higher
Education, the fiscal and/or instructional impacts of the following
on student outcomes:
(1) Technological delivery of developmental education
courses that allows students to complete course work;
(2) Diagnostic assessments to determine a student's
specific educational needs to allow for appropriate developmental
(3) Modular developmental education course materials;
(4) Use of tutors and instructional aides to supplement
developmental education course instruction as needed for particular
(5) Internal monitoring mechanisms used to identify
a student's area(s) of academic difficulty;
(6) Periodic updates of developmental education course
(7) Assessments after completion of a developmental
education intervention to determine a student's readiness for entry-level
academic course work.
(b) At the end of each semester, institutions shall
report to the Board the following information for undergraduate students:
Social Security Number (SSN), semester credit hours (SCH), grade points
earned, ethnicity, gender, date of birth, Texas Success Initiative
status, initial assessment instrument, score on initial assessment,
type of developmental education received for each area (reading, mathematics,
writing), grade in first related non-developmental course, and the
results of any subsequent assessment.
(c) On or before January 1, 2004, each institution
shall submit to the Board a revised developmental education plan to
reflect the Texas Success Initiative.