The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating
(2) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education,
the Chief Executive Officer of the Board.
(3) Criminal Justice Courses--Courses determined by
an institution to be a part of a criminal justice degree or certificate
(4) Governing Board--As defined in Texas Education
(5) Institution of Higher Education or Institution--Any
public institution of higher education as defined in Texas Education
(6) Laboratory Fees--Fees authorized through Texas
Education Code, §54.501.
(7) Law Enforcement Courses--Courses determined by
an institution to be a part of a law enforcement-related degree or
(8) Peace Officer--An individual employed as a peace
officer by this state or a political subdivision of the state.
(9) Program--The Exemption Program for Peace Officers
Enrolled in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Courses.
(10) Tuition--Includes statutory tuition, designated
tuition and governing board-authorized tuition.
(11) Undergraduate Student--A person classified by
his or her institution as an undergraduate.