The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating
(2) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education,
the Chief Executive Officer of the Board.
(3) Continuation Award--An exemption from tuition and
fees awarded to a student in accordance with this subchapter who has
received the exemption in a previous semester.
(4) Criminal Justice Courses--Courses determined by
an institution to be a part of a criminal justice degree or certificate
(5) Excess Hours--In accordance with Texas Education
Code, §54.014, for undergraduates, hours in excess of 30 more
than those required for completion of the degree program in which
the student is enrolled.
(6) Governing Board--As defined in Texas Education
(7) Institution of Higher Education or Institution--Any
public institution of higher education as defined in Texas Education
(8) Laboratory Fees--Fees authorized through Texas
Education Code, §54.501.
(9) Law Enforcement Courses--Courses determined by
an institution to be a part of a law enforcement-related degree or
(10) Peace Officer--An individual employed as a peace
officer by this state or a political subdivision of the state.
(11) Program--The Exemption Program for Peace Officers
Enrolled in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Courses.
(12) Tuition--Includes statutory tuition, designated
tuition and governing board-authorized tuition.
(13) Undergraduate Student--A person classified by
his or her institution as an undergraduate.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §22.531 adopted to be effective February 23, 2011, 36 TexReg 924; amended to be effective November 28, 2012, 37 TexReg 9360; amended to be effective June 2, 2014, 39 TexReg 4244