The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating
(2) Firefighter--An individual employed as a firefighter
by a political subdivision of the state of Texas or who is an active
member of an organized volunteer fire department in Texas.
(3) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education,
the Chief Executive Officer of the Board.
(4) Continuation award--An exemption from tuition and
fees awarded to a student in accordance with this subchapter who has
received the exemption in a previous semester.
(5) Eligible organized volunteer fire department--An
organized volunteer fire department participating in the Texas Emergency
Services Retirement System or a retirement system established under
the Texas Local Fire Fighters Retirement Act (Article 6243e, Vernon's
Texas Civil Statutes).
(6) Excess hours--In accordance with Texas Education
Code, §54.014, for undergraduates - hours in excess of 30 or
more than those required for completion of the degree program in which
the student is enrolled.
(7) Fire Science Courses--Courses that fall within
a designated fire science curriculum, as well as courses that are
primarily related to fire service, emergency medicine, emergency management,
or public administration.
(8) Institution of Higher Education or Institution--Any
public technical institute, public junior college, public senior college
or university, medical or dental unit, public state college, or other
agency of higher education as defined in Texas Education Code, §61.003(8).
(9) Laboratory fees--Fees authorized through Texas
Education Code, §54.501.
(10) Program--The Exemption Program for Firefighters
Enrolled in Fire Science Courses.
(11) Tuition--Includes statutory tuition, designated
tuition and Board-authorized tuition.
|Source Note: The provisions of this §22.519 adopted to be effective August 26, 2009, 34 TexReg 5689; amended to be effective May 26, 2010, 35 TexReg 4163; amended to be effective June 2, 2014, 39 TexReg 4243