The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Awarded--Offered to a student.
(2) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating
(3) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education,
the Chief Executive Officer of the Board.
(4) Cost of attendance--A Board-approved estimate of
the expenses incurred by a typical financial aid student in attending
a particular college. It includes direct educational costs (tuition,
fees, books, and supplies) as well as indirect costs (room and board,
transportation, and personal expenses).
(5) Encumbered funds--Program funds that have been
offered to a specific student, which offer the student has accepted,
and which may or may not have been disbursed to the student.
(6) Enrolled on at least a half-time basis--Enrolled
for the equivalent of six semester credit hours in a regular semester.
(7) Entering student--A student enrolled in the first
30 semester credit hours or their equivalent, excluding hours taken
during dual enrollment in high school and courses for which the student
received credit through examination.
(8) Expected family contribution--The amount of discretionary
income that should be available to a student from his or her resources
and that of his or her family, as determined following the federal
(9) Financial need--The cost of attendance at a particular
public or private institution of higher education less the expected
family contribution. The cost of attendance and family contribution
are to be determined in accordance with Board guidelines. Federal
and state veterans' educational and special combat pay benefits are
not to be considered in determining a student's financial need.
(10) Initial year award--The grant award made in the
student's first year in the Texas Educational Opportunity Grant Program,
typically made up of a fall and spring disbursement.
(11) Institution--A public junior college as defined
in Texas Education Code, §61.003(2); a public technical institution
as defined in Texas Education Code, §61.003(7); and a public
state college as defined in Texas Education Code, §61.003(16).
(12) Period of enrollment--The term or terms within
the current state fiscal year (September 1 - August 31) for which
the student was enrolled in an approved institution and met all the
eligibility requirements for an award through this program.
(13) Program--The Texas Educational Opportunity Grant
(14) Program Officer--The individual named by each
participating institution's chief executive officer to serve as agent
for the Board. The Program Officer has primary responsibility for
all ministerial acts required by the program, including maintenance
of all records and preparation and submission of reports reflecting
program transactions. Unless otherwise indicated by the administration,
the director of student financial aid shall serve as Program Officer.
(15) Resident of Texas--A resident of the State of
Texas as determined in accordance with Chapter 21, Subchapter B of
this title (relating to Determination of Resident Status). Nonresident
students who are eligible to pay resident tuition rates are not residents
|Source Note: The provisions of this §22.254 adopted to be effective August 16, 2004, 29 TexReg 7988; amended to be effective November 28, 2005, 30 TexReg 7871; amended to be effective May 21, 2008, 33 TexReg 3954; amended to be effective May 26, 2010, 35 TexReg 4161; amended to be effective February 28, 2012, 37 TexReg 1335; amended to be effective February 26, 2014, 39 TexReg 1148