The following words and terms, when used in these sections, shall have
the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) Alternative Certification Program--an alternative certification
educator preparation program approved by the State Board for Educator Certification
(2) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
(3) Certification officer--The individual designated by the
State Board for Educator Certification as the "Certification Officer" at an
approved certification program.
(4) Certified Teacher--A person who has passed the appropriate
certification exams and has been fully certified by the Texas State Board
for Educator Certification (SBEC).
(5) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education.
(6) Community Experiencing a Critical Shortage of Teachers--As
defined by the Texas Commissioner of Education.
(7) Good cause--See §21.436 of this title (relating to
Teach for Texas Conditional Grant Program), "Hardship and Other Good Cause."
(8) Loan--A Teach for Texas Alternative Certification Conditional
Grant that has become a loan because the grant conditions have not been fulfilled.
(9) Program Completion Date--The date the recipient is considered
to have completed the requirements of the educator certification program and
is eligible to take the appropriate ExCET exam.
(10) Program officer--The individual designated by the State
Board for Educator Certification as the "Program Director" at an approved
(11) Recipient--A person who has received a Teach for Texas
Alternative Certification Conditional Grant.
(12) Steady Progress--As defined by the individual program
officer midway through the alternative certification program.
(13) Shortage Field--Subject or area of study designated by
the Texas Commissioner of Education as having a critical shortage of teachers.