The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter, shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) Child-care facility--A child-care facility licensed through
the Division of Child Care Licensing of the Department of Protective and Regulatory
(2) Default--A loan is considered in default if it is
reduced to judgment.
(3) Early childhood care provider--A person who works
31 hours or more a week in a child-care facility, whether as an employee,
owner, or volunteer, and whose duties consist primarily of providing child
care or education to children less than four years of age.
(4) Early childhood degree or equivalent--An associate,
baccalaureate, or graduate degree in early childhood development or the equivalent
of early childhood development.
(5) Education loan--A loan made to an individual for the
purpose of attending a public or independent institution of higher education.
(6) General academic teaching institution--As defined
in the Texas Education Code, §61.003.
(7) Institution of higher education--A public or private
and independent institution of higher education as defined in the Texas Education
Code, §61.003, and an out-of-state institution that is accredited by
a recognized accrediting agency.
(8) Recognized accrediting agency--The Southern Association
of Colleges and Schools and any other association or organization so designated
by the board.
(9) Repayment(s)--Financial assistance for repaying education
(10) Service obligation--A period of specified service
in return for repayment assistance.