The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter, shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) Academic period--A twelve-month period designated by an
(2) Board--The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
(3) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education, the
Chief Executive Officer of the Board.
(4) Community experiencing a critical shortage of teachers--As
defined by the Commissioner of Education.
(5) Eligible Institution--Institutions of higher education
and private or independent institutions of higher education, as defined in
the Texas Education Code, Chapter 61.003, that offer an educator certification
program (not applicable in the case of alternative educator certification
(6) Enrolled for at least a three-quarter time--For undergraduates,
enrolled for the equivalent of nine semester credit hours in a regular semester.
(7) Enrolled at least half time--For undergraduates, enrolled
for the equivalent of six semester credit hours in a regular semester.
(8) Program--The Teach for Texas Conditional Grant Program.
(9) Recipient--A person who has received a Teach for Texas
(10) Program Completion Date--The date the recipient is considered
to have completed the requirements of the educator certification program and
is eligible to take the appropriate ExCET exam.
(11) Satisfactory Academic Progress--A student makes satisfactory
academic progress toward completion of an educator certification program if
he/she completes at least 75% of the semester credit hours attempted in the
student's most recent academic year and earns an overall grade point average
of at least 2.5 on a four-point scale on coursework previously attempted at
institutions of higher education.