The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter,
shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Census date--The date in an academic term for which
an institution is required to certify a person's enrollment in the
institution for the purposes of determining formula funding for the
(2) Child--Unless otherwise indicated, a person who
is the biological or adopted child, or who is claimed as a dependent
on a federal income tax return filed for the preceding year or who
will be claimed as a dependent on a federal income tax return for
the current year.
(3) Commissioner--The Commissioner of Higher Education,
the Chief Executive Officer of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating
(4) Coordinating Board or Board--The Texas Higher Education
(5) Dependent--A person who:
(A) is less than 18 years of age and has not been emancipated
by marriage or court order; or
(B) is eligible to be claimed as a dependent of a parent
of the person for purposes of determining the parent's income tax
liability under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
(6) Financial need--An economic situation that exists
for a student when the cost of attendance at an institution of higher
education is greater than the resources the family has available for
paying for college. In determining a student's financial need an institution
must compare the financial resources available to the student to the
institution's cost of attendance.
(7) General Academic Teaching Institution--As the term
is defined in Texas Education Code, §61.003.
(8) Institution or institution of higher education--Any
public technical institute, public junior college, public senior college
or university, medical or dental unit, or other agency of higher education
as defined in Texas Education Code, §61.003(8).
(9) Nonresident tuition--The amount of tuition paid
by a person who does not qualify as a Texas resident under Texas Education
Code, Chapter 54, Subchapter B.
(10) Parent--A natural or adoptive parent, managing
or possessory conservator, or legal guardian of a person. The term
would not otherwise include a step-parent.
(11) Public technical institute or college--The Lamar
Institute of Technology or any campus of the Texas State Technical
(12) Remain Continuously Enrolled--Continue to enroll
for the fall and spring terms of an academic year. Summer enrollment
is not a requirement.
(13) Resident tuition--The amount of tuition paid by
a person who qualifies as a Texas resident under Texas Education Code,
Chapter 54, Subchapter B.
(14) Waiver--A program authorized by Texas statutes
that allows a nonresident student to enroll in an institution of higher
education and pay a reduced amount of nonresident tuition.