The following words and terms, when used in this part, shall have the
following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) Act--The Government Code, Chapter 571 (concerning Texas
(2) Administrative Procedure Act--The Government Code, Chapter
2001 (concerning Administrative Procedure).
(3) Agency--The state agency governed by the commission, as
it functions and operates through the administrative staff hired by the commission
and its executive director.
(4) Commission--The Texas Ethics Commission, as constituted
and described in the Texas Constitution, Article 3, §24a.
(5) Document--A report, complaint, response, letter, or any
other written material.
(6) Executive director--The person employed by the commission
to serve as the agency's chief administrative officer, or any other employee
of the commission acting as the designee of the executive director.
(7) Family member or relative--An individual who is related
within the second degree of affinity or consanguinity, as defined by the Government
Code, Chapter 573, Subchapter B (concerning Relationships by Consanguinity
or by Affinity).
(8) Filer--A person required to file a report with the commission
or a local filing authority in accordance with this title.
(9) Individual--A human being who has been born and is alive.
(10) Local filing authority--A public servant other than the
Texas Ethics Commission with whom a filer must file a report in accordance
with this title, as identified in §20.5 of this title (relating to Reports
Filed with a County Filing Authority) and §20.7 of this title (relating
to Reports Filed with Other Local Filing Authority).
(11) Open Meetings Law--The Government Code, Chapter 551 (concerning
(12) Open Records Law--The Government Code, Chapter 552 (concerning
(13) Person--An individual, representative, corporation, association,
or other entity, including any nonprofit corporation, or any agency or instrumentality
of federal, state, or local government.
(14) Postmark--A postal cancellation by the United States Postal
Service that contains the post office name, state, and zip code and the month,
day, and year the canceling post office accepted custody of the material.
(15) Presiding officer--The person elected to serve as the
commission's chairman or chairwoman under §6.21 of this title (relating
to Officers of the Commission).
(16) Report--Any document or other information required to
be filed under this title.
(17) Staff--Employees of the commission, hired by the commission
or the executive director.
(18) Title 15--The Election Code, Title 15 (concerning Regulating
Political Funds and Campaigns).